[wp-hackers] XMLRPC Patches

m at tidakada.com m at tidakada.com
Thu Sep 2 16:23:34 UTC 2004

Quoting Emmanuel Frécon <emmanuel at sics.se>:

> It seems to me that building dependencies on some plugins in the XMLRPC
> API is a bad idea. This remark does not only apply to the TFS, it also
> applies to my current patch that is now floating around and attempts to
> be smart about markdown (a plugin that has to be activated) and textile
> (another plugin). The whole idea does seems awkward. Plugins are for
> making extensions that leave as less "tracks" as possible behind them in
> the main system. If you start building dependencies on existing plugins
> in the main system, you have broken the whole idea.

This is why we haven't blindly integrated each and every chunk of Johann's
'Ecto' patch and yours.

This is also why this...

> > But my new Text Filter Suite plugin[1] can do it. I'm hoping that
> > eventually, we might such a capability a standard WP feature. It would
> > be particularly useful for multi-author sites, where certain authors
> > prefer a particular markup style, e.g. Textile or Markdown.

...makes sense.
It would be great to have per-post filters in WP in the next release(s). Now we
can fork the discussion to 'just how do we implement them?'

--
Michel Valdrighi
http://zengun.org/weblog/