[wp-hackers] while I'm at it, discussion about $user_level...

David Chait davebytes at comcast.net
Sun Oct 24 06:03:18 UTC 2004

a LOT of my plugins try to look at $user_level to see:
1. is the user even logged in
2. if logged in, are they high enough level to access a feature

On CHAITGEAR, my wp-config.php actually does the getcurrentuserinfo (or
whatever) call for every pageload.  I think.. ;)

Is there a reason why everyone wouldn't want the global user info 'up and
running' at the 'top' of things, well before plugins and such start doing
their job, or the posts-query executes (which might need to restrict posts
based on user_level...)?

Or, is there a new access function I should be calling that does a
delayed-lookup call to the right secondary function if user_level et al is
!isset()?

thx,

-d