[wp-hackers] New(?) anti-spam technique

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Thu Oct 21 20:25:20 UTC 2004

John Watson wrote:

>As for the javascript idea, I considered
>that as well (I was thinking of letting them click the button any time
>they like but the button would grey out and wait for the required time
>before actually submitting the form) -- BUT I didn't implement it in
>my example because I didn't want to moderate comments from people who
>post quickly just because they have javascript turned off.

Why not give that benefit to people with JavaScript?  If you don't, then
/everyone/ who submits a comment quickly goes to moderation.  Like you
said, the worst that happens is that you have to approve their comment.
And technically, if you implement a whitelist that trumps the time
delay, this will only apply to new commenters who are also quick and who
don't have JavaScript on.