[wp-hackers] WP Plugin DB 1.0

drDave drdave at unknowngenius.com
Fri Oct 15 14:25:35 UTC 2004

Couldn't put it better than Jamie....
Major issue in hosting this on anything too official (like
wordpress.org) is the liability and automatic assumption people will
make on the checking the plugins have gone through. No matter how many
warning and disclaimers we add...
Provided the project takes off correctly (which it seems to be),
actually moderating all the plugins in a way that would allow us to
vouch for them (probably nothing short of code auditing and regression
testing) is an unrealistic task. I mean, I do keep an eye on what gets
uploaded, and it's not yet much work, but I can foresee a day where
anybody will be able to upload anything without getting noticed
immediately, and there's not much we can do about it.
I think the best approach will be to implement community based
moderation and a rating system, insuring no bad apple stays too long in
the basket... but this does not offer sufficient guarantee to host them
on the official WP site, imho.

A nice standalone "wp-plugins.com" domain with a link from the official
Docs, FAQ and Wiki should make it easy enough for newbies to find it
(and I agree, it is most important).

And while I'm at it: if you got a plugin, Go Register It Now! and
please let me know of any bug you run in, whether in the DB tools or
the client.

Cheers
--
Dave