[wp-hackers] Save/edit hooks

Brad Froehle froe0071 at umn.edu
Tue Oct 12 00:28:53 UTC 2004

On Oct 11, 2004, at 6:51 PM, Matthew Mullenweg wrote:

> Alex King wrote:
>> I was thinking about this recently, would we translate from XHTML
>> back to Markdown, etc. for editing already saved posts?
>
> I think that's the ideal situation. As long as there are advanced
> enough functions to translate to and from HTML (ignoring anything they
> can't handle) then there's no reason not just to store HTML and
> nothing else. Then if you decided you liked Markdown better than
> Textile or whatever you could flip a switch and immediately be able to
> edit all your content past and present in your preferred syntax.
>
> There's also no reason we couldn't use this for autop as well, that
> would also speed things up quite a bit.

TextPattern takes the approach of storing the data in both Textile and
XHTML syntax (which obviously takes up twice as much space), but is
technically an easier solution to the matter.

My only worry is that a XHTML -> Markdown or XHTML -> Textile syntax
converter wouldn't work reliably and would most likely produce syntax
(that while valid) wouldn't be like how you would write it.

-Brad Froehle