[lists] [wp-hackers] Duplicate Comments/Pings

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Fri Nov 19 12:59:47 UTC 2004

Mark Jaquith wrote:

> I'm talking about discarding the current ping or comment if it is an
> exact duplicate of a previous ping or comment for the same entry
> only!  And by duplicate, I mean duplicate.  Same IP, same content,
> same everything.  You could also set a time limit (say, within 10
> minutes), but that's not really necessary.
>
> Example: (don't quote me, this isn't necessarily the exact code that
> would be used)

Or, change the existing flood query to something like:

$lasttime = $wpdb->get_row("SELECT comment_date, comment_content FROM
$wpdb->comments WHERE comment_author_IP = '$user_ip' ORDER BY
comment_date DESC LIMIT 1");

And then add the check:

if ($lasttime->comment_content == $comment)
    die( __('Sorry, you have already posted that comment.') );

Doing this wouldn't add an additional query to the comment routine.

Owen