[wp-hackers] Suggestion for WP-Admin Navigation

Amit Gupta amit at igeek.info
Sat Nov 6 18:35:55 UTC 2004

André Medeiros wrote:-
What you have there is simply an overhead. What you are saying might
easilly be acheived by a simple javascript library and a bit of css.

If someone is interested, I can code this.
I didn't say that we need to use PHPLM itself. If you'd read what I wrote carefully then you'd noticed that I said "something like PHPLM". In simple english, that means something else(if not PHPLM) that's similar to PHPLM, not meaning that PHPLM itself should be used. I can't simplify more than this.

Elliott C. Bäck wrote:-
I don't see the use in drop-down web menus--can you provide a concrete
example of the subpages you would want to add to, say, "Write?"  The
simplicity in the current single level menus is something I really like
about the admin interface.
Maybe you like to click 2-3 links & load 2-3 pages before reaching your destination page when you can just reach it in a single click & a single page load. Maybe you like to do things hard way but I don't want to comment on this. Its your own preference afterall & each individual is entitled to follow his/her preferences. But what I meant to say by suggesting that we use something like that is that WordPress isn't just for developers. Its also for common people who are not so tech-savvy & who are busy & they want to get things done easily and quickly. A menu like that would save time.

And using a drop-down menu bar doesn't mean that you have to have a menu on every tab. Some tabs may be without menu, so you have your answer for the "Write" tab.

Owen Winkler wrote:-
I like the single-level static menus, too, but I also think it's
inconvenient to have to click through two menus/pages to get to the
Options page that I want.

For example, I would like a way to access the Options > Discussion page
without seeing the Options > General page.  Or a better example, I
would
like to access the Manage > Awaiting Moderation page from the Write
page.

I'm not necessarily an advocate of stuffing the admin full of
javascript
menus, but making things easier pleases me.
Right on. *thumbs up* :D

Alex King wrote:-
A drop down (<select> control) that jumps to all pages would be cool
and easy to hack in.
Good Suggestion. That would be cool as well. :D

Scott Merrill wrote:-
Or a hierarchical <ul> of all admin links.  We present categories in
a <ul> to our readers for easy navigation, why not the same
mechanism on the inside?
But that would result in a lot of clutter, displaying the links in a List.

Josh Jarmin wrote:-
What about using something like this:

http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/dropdowns/

It is standards compliant and uses almost no javascript, so it runs
very light and fast.
That's a very good suggestion again. And that's some good examples too. With a bit of styling, that menu can be made like Julia Roberts. :)

Michael Ewens wrote:-
I implemented one of these at my undergraduate college that needs no JS
in Mozilla (though IE demands it). It would seem more pertinent to the
WP admin menu which is more horizontal.

http://economics.wustl.edu/
That's good indeed but it has a problem with space. WP1.3 will allow plugins to specify their own menus & if the user has a lot of plugins like that, there would be a problem implementing it. Its good if you know exactly how many menu items you'll implement but in uncertain scenarios like here, its best to go with drop down vertical approach.

-----
Amit Gupta

|| Canned!! -- my Atropine || iG:Syntax Hiliter v2.0 Preview ||
|| iGEEK.INFO || Free Nokia Ringtones || Online Gaming @ Games Planet ||