[wp-hackers] andrew hall - who why what & suggestion

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Wed Jun 16 02:37:00 UTC 2004

Jonathon Jongsma wrote:

> This is a good idea, but I'd have to say that it makes most sense to
> actually do this via comments in the source code itself.  Is there a
> reason that the source code contains almost no comments?  It seems that
> easily comprehensible code would lower the bar for potential
> contributors significantly.

Inline comments usually are too verbose or too sparse. They tend to state
the obvious and don't provide enough room to explain anything really
difficult. There really isn't that hard to understand code in WordPress
anyway. If there's something you can't wrap your head around, post it to
this list and with the responses you get we can create a wiki page with
information about that function for anyone who may wonder in the future,
like we currently have for the template tags. We could even reference the
wiki page in the source code, or even better get to the point where almost
every function was documented so it would just be like php.net, where you
put in wiki.wordpress.org/function_name and there was what you were
looking for.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://pingomatic.com | more soon...