[wp-hackers] For those who don't subscribe to the wp docs mailing list:

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Thu Jul 29 21:59:15 UTC 2004

Scott Merrill wrote:

> While we're throwing out suggestions, I'd like to advocate for MediaWiki
> instead of phpWiki.  I realize that the conversion would be awkward, but
> in my short time fiddling with MediaWiki I've found it to offer a lot of
> useful features.

I've been thinking about converting the wiki for the very reasons you
mention. The biggest pain would be existing links, from other sites and in
WordPress itself! If I do end up installing MediaWiki it will be on a
different subdomain (like docs.wordpress.org) and we could use the
redirect function in phpWiki (which I love) to point to new pages as they
are created.

Good reasons for MediaWiki:

* Very active development (phpWiki is weird in this regard)
* XHTML compliant
* Allows image attachment and such
* Friendlier interface in general
* Has long-term viability (as long as wikipedia is around)
* More user-friendly

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://pingomatic.com | more soon...