[wp-hackers] For those who don't subscribe to the wp docs mailing list:

Alex nessence at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 17:59:08 UTC 2004

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:16:14 -0700, Craig Hartel <milquetoast at telus.net> wrote:

> Alex wrote:
> <snip>
> > I use WordPress. It's open source, and I'm not obligated to donate,
> > code, support forums, or even flame the mailing lists. Neither am I
> > obligated to feel shame, guilt, or selfishness for not doing anything.
>
> Firstly, a good stir of the pot to get things going is a good thing. To lower
> Podz' legitimate concerns by calling it a flame, is a cop-out. Also, never once
> did I see Podz suggest that anyone should feel guilt or shame. He is pointing
> out an example of the weakest part of open-source projects. Don't put words into
> peoples' mouths.

I was a bit brash. I did not mean to say those were his words, merely
to clarify that it is neither beneather someone or uncool to do
nothing for an open source project. While that is very non-productive,
it's also just as acceptable as providing valueable contributions.

> > It would be a much better point to display a concern for the lack of
> > sufficient suport than to redicule with disdain the habits of
> > participants in an open source project. That said, this is open source
> > and anyone has a right to their opinion.
>
> If you feel ridiculed, then that is a decision you made on how to accept or
> reject Podz's comments. I take his remarks as a challenge to make WordPress
> better and stronger.

The concern without ridicule would be just as sufficient. I clearly
don't always do as I say either (and with a typo at that). Sorry about
that (the ridicule, not the typo).

> > You have contributed greatly and that has been recognized. For the
> > sake of producing a professional product, please provide some
> > suggestions as to how the community may support your efforts. You have
> > provided a vast amount of support and may have experience to suggest a
> > more competent solution than others.
>
> How about you supply some suggestions too?

Having a seperate channel for wordpress support might not be a bad
idea. Not necessarily renaming the existing channel, but creating an
additional wordpress support channel. In this channel, everyone would
accept they are either there to help someone or ask a question, and
not be there to socialize or discuss hacking.

The forum would be much easiser to read if it extended more than 63
characters wide (that's all that fits in my browser - OSX::Firefox).
The forum is otherwise easy to use.

A wordpress support mailing list. For me, mailing lists are much
easier to deal with because they are sent to me - as opposed to a
forum where I have to go and look for them. The mailing list could
specify it's scope and have moderators to make sure it doesn't get
into non-support discussion. In fact, if SPAM weren't such a problem
for some, I would think the only functionality a forum provides is an
archive and appendix of users.

Aside from all that, a forum/mailing-list connector would be
excellent, but that might be a little far fetched.

A script similar to that which sends mail to wp-cvs list, but for the
wiki instead would be nice. It might even improve the accuracy of the
wiki. If an email was sent to members of the list every time a major
modification was made to the wiki (page added or remvoed, or a diff of
more than a paragraph of text), it would be easier to help it grow
because we could see what's happening and contribute adhoc upon
notification instead of just looking around for something to do.

Last, creating an error handler in WP code would be beneficial. As in
http://php.net/set-error-handler
Then, generated a documented set of error codes, along with the proper
code to handle them. Then, providing reference links on pages with
generated errors that link directly to a reference page (see
http://wordpress.org/docs/reference/ ) of errors and 'comments' of
information. Similar to functions of PHP having comments at the bottom
of them. The reference manual to WP (not the wiki) could have comments
as well. I think the Wiki is a community effort in documenting the
project and not necessarily the reference manual for users. It could
be, but it can be edited by anyone and thus not a good reference to
link to from the WP script. Again, a little far fetched, but it's
something I would do if I had the time to generate the code.