[wp-hackers] echo and return

David House dave at xmouse.ithium.net
Tue Jul 27 10:42:46 UTC 2004

Can we bring this discussion back on track? URI-style or traditional-style
parameters, I don't mind, but we need to decide how we're going to manage
echoing and returning. Personally, I'm a fan of getting rid of all the
get_the_* functions, just having the_* functions and passing everything
URI-style (yes, I realise this is rather different to my previous view, but
I've changed my mind).

So all the logic goes into the the_* functions, and every function needs to
respect an 'echo' parameter. Eg, calling the_date('echo=0'); would return the
date of $post, formatted as of get_settings('date_format');.