[wp-hackers] WP Plugin site.

Stephen Cropp steve at de-generationx.net
Sun Jul 25 15:24:29 UTC 2004

Tara Star wrote:

> forgive my ignorance, but does GPL mean the author still gets credit
> for his work, or not? (I'm more in a creative commons frame of mind
> when thinking about licenses, so I'm not too sure where GPL stands. Is
> it like an attribution-sharealike cc license?)
>
> Steph aka bunny
> --
> http://climbtothestars.org/

Heya Steph....

I wrote a couple of articles about the GPL... Admittedly they're
targetted more at why Microsoft hates it so much, but they explain what
the GPL actually means and give a basic idea of what happens when
anything is released under the GPL. It does not cover things such as the
LGPL or even BSD type licenses but feedback has been pretty useful (even
got linked to by a newspaper here in NZ).

http://www.de-generationx.net/papers/articles/000492.php
http://www.de-generationx.net/papers/articles/000493.php

Be warned, they date back a bit now and I have not yet updated the
papers section of my site. It is the only part of my site yet to be
migrated to WP.

Hope they help you (and anyone else) even a small amount to understand
the GPL.

Steve Cropp
(aka Korgan)