[wp-hackers] cache_categories and category_cache

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Sun Jul 25 10:06:33 UTC 2004

As far as I can tell, $category_cache stores category info on the posts
returned in $posts = $wpdb->get_results($request); (the posts being
processed)

$cache_categories is just pretty much a dump of the $tablecategories
table, including categories that aren't related to posts being
displayed.  So while $category_cache is used for displayed-post-related
stuff, $cache_categories is used for unrelated category stuff, like
showing a list of all categories, or getting the name of a category by
its id.

At least, that's how I read the code... I only just glanced at it now
(personal PHPXref of current CVS)... but that seems to be the distinction.