[wp-hackers] adding in RSS mode to trackback

Shelley Powers shelleyp at burningbird.net
Fri Jul 23 17:39:34 UTC 2004

B.K. DeLong wrote:

> At 12:22 PM 7/23/2004 -0500, Shelley Powers wrote:
>
>>> Speaking of which, is this all being aggregated on the Wiki?
>>
>> Brian, did you mean my stuff? Or generally?
>

> Ben - but that's ok...literally 99.9% think it's Brian.

Ben, sorry! It's your last name. It reminded me of De Palma, and my
unconcious mind just extrapolated from there.

(Sure and I bet everyone is eager to use my code now.)

>> If you meant my stuff, then no, there's nothing at the Wiki. Much of
>> this stuff is modifications to actual code.  I wrote about them in a
>> multi-page post, and this weekend I'll probably do another multi-page
>> post update to cover some changes people suggested, and to cover the
>> new tricks I'm adding. But there really isn't a place to put a link
>> to this type of activity at the wiki. Links to plug-ins, and I should
>> add my plug-ins to the list.
>>
>> Should I also add a page at the wiki for people to add links to posts
>> that cover code modifications like mine? I hesitate to do this
>> because I'm not sure how well this will go over within the WP
>> development community. There really is an emphasis -- rightfully so
>> -- on plug-in development rather than actual code modifications.
>

> Understandable but as far as I can tell there are certain
> modifications that cannot be done with plugins. I think it would be
> useful to have such a page but only link to it from a page that
> clearly explains that plugins are recommended and this level of
> hacking should only be done by those who mostly know what they're
> doing.....or we just create a seperate WP Hacking wiki ;)
>
> We just need a better way for categorizing and tracking these
> non-official code modifications.

I agree. 100%.

I would really love to hear about all the hacks, but they aren't all
plug-in type of hacks. I know that we should do plug-ins as much as
possible, but as you've said, not all hacks make a plug-in.

If we had page with links like this, wouldn't it be fun to see what
people are doing? More than that, as demonstrated with Owen's feedback,
others' fresh perspective of our code could  lead to better code, fixes
to potential gotchas, and maybe even the feedback to convert the hacked
code to a plug-in.

If I add this page at the wiki, with a disclaimer at the top, how do the
official and semi-official WP folks, developers and documentation folks,
feel about this? I'd also like to add a link in this page to the PHP
Documentor so that people start putting generated documentation online
for easier viewing.

Shelley