[wp-hackers] relative URL for login

Alex King alex at alexking.org
Sun Jul 18 04:59:19 UTC 2004

I think I brought this up before and it was shot down, but I'd like to
try again: I think using a relative URL for the login is a good idea.

Today, I tripped over this person who experienced a problem that would
have been avoided by using a relative URL:

http://delugen.org/~bedlam/blog/index.php?p=2

I mostly get complaints on this from friends who have done a local
install or an install into a staging directory and then experience the
'gotcha' when they go to put their blog live. We're basically requiring
people to either know they have to fix the site URL before they move
their blog (which means their staging site no longer works) or they
have to be savvy enough to use phpMyAdmin or similar and dig around
until they find the setting they need to change.

I'd be happy to hear arguments for and against.

--Alex

http://www.alexking.org/