[wp-hackers] WP, PHP5, PEAR::DB, SQLite

kellan at protest.net kellan at protest.net
Sat Jul 17 21:27:56 UTC 2004

> We do use a modified form of ezSQL, however the DB abstraction on the
> application layer has nothing to do with real world cross-database
> compatibility.

I think you're overstating the case a little bit.  I think my statement
that it isn't a silver bullet, but it is an important first step was a bit
more accurate.  If the WP code had mysql_connect, pg_connect, and
sqlite_open scattered through out you'd never get there (at least not w/o
pain and suffering).

> "Database Abstraction Layers Must Die!"
> http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/002194.html

Jeremy in his own contrarian way does hit the *other* key piece of cross
db support, centralizing your SQL calls into a library.  Which in the case
of WP is going to be significantly more work.  In the mean time the code
will run under PHP5.

-k