[wp-hackers] WP, PHP5, PEAR::DB, SQLite

Matthew Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Sat Jul 17 21:12:44 UTC 2004

On Jul 17, 2004, at 3:59 PM, kellan at protest.net wrote:

> p.s. I see discussion in the forums about how WP uses ezSQL, which I
> assume in the source of the logic in wp-db.php.  I couldn't really
> comment
> on this one way or another except to say WP clearly isn't using ezSQL's
> advertised cross platform support.  I was going to check out ezSQL's
> implementation, however they don't allow downloads without going
> through
> their annoying email capture form, which is just another reason to use
> PEAR::DB.

We do use a modified form of ezSQL, however the DB abstraction on the
application layer has nothing to do with real world cross-database
compatibility. It would be a matter of reworking almost all of the SQL
queries to even be able to begin to work with other databases. I think
working with a thousand databases is kinda silly, as any user is only
ever going to want one, however if I were going to prioritize the three
I'd most like to have WP support it would be:

1. MySQL
2. SQLite
3. Postgres

I think this post is relevant to the discussion :)

"Database Abstraction Layers Must Die!"
http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/002194.html

--
Matt Mullenweg