[wp-hackers] Plugin Site

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 04:06:12 UTC 2004

I have been thinking about this, and even had plans for a "wordplug.org"

What I finally thought would be acceptable, after the previous
discussion on the same topic, was to have a simple site with a list of
all the plugins and hacks. That's it.
I had an workaround for the problem of authors not wanting to lose the
traffic that would otherwise come their way. The plugins website would
link to the author's specific plugin page. If the plugin is GPLed, it
will be mirrored off of wp-plugins.org, and the mirror for the
download would be become active when the author's site is down,
temporarily or otherwise, unless the author insists to the contrary.
No major technology would be required for this. A mail to the admin
from a disgruntled user who can't find a download at the plugin
author's site will cause the admin to enable a link to the
cached/mirrored copy, till such time as the author's site does not
come back.

As for maintaining the site, and admin, or a bunch of them would have
to do it, and I have seen that with feedster, pubsub etc, and the
support forums and wiki, one gets to know of all kinds of plugins, I
have even come across some that have only been announced only at the
author's site, not even at the wiki or support forums. For now, i
manually add links to these plugins from the wiki plugin page, but
adding them to a plugin website should be no biggie.

Each author can get right to post/edit info related to his plugin at
the wp-plugins site. When a new author's plugin is included, she can
be sent a mail informing her that her plugin is now described/listed
at wp-plugins.org, and that she can optionally become an author at the
site.
If she chooses not to, it will fall upon the admin to update the
plugin. The admin will be amply helped by the end users who can leave
php.net style comments or send emails to inform the admin and others
about unnoticed plugin upgrades etc.

Of course, it all runs off of a wordpress blog.

I kind of extended get_posts (the template tag) with the goal of using
it to power the intended plugins site I had in mind.

The way I saw it, the website would have

1. An announcements section
2. A good inbuilt search (which wordpress has)
3. Plugins sorted by
a. Name(alphabetically)
b. Date
c. type
d. author
e. popularity (downloads/pageviews)
f. user ratings

Each plugin will have :
1. A detailed description
2. A brief synopsis
3. A link to the author's article describing the plugin
4. Comments

With the currently available hacks/plugins and the get_posts function,
all this should be  doable (easily?).

I suck at css, and my adviser is breathing down my neck, else this
would have been done by now :P If you need any help please let me
know.

And before we start advising plugin authors about the licensing terms
and issues related to GPL and such, we need to clarify WordPress'
license and take care to conform to GPL's terms. I have no option but
to think that there is a problem with WordPress' GPL licensing, since
I have had one developer reply in a coherent manner, and that reply
acknowledged the problem and the need to fix it.

Regards,
Carthik.

--
When nothing is done, nothing is left undone -- 老子 Lǎozi

University of Central Florida
Homepage: http://carthik.net