[wp-hackers] Plugin Site

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Fri Jul 16 19:56:53 UTC 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Tor Bjornrud wrote:

> Respectfully, I think having a system that relies on everybody being
> the sole provider of their "open code" not only defeats the purpose of
> Open Source, it ends up making a fragile network of available plugins.
> In no way is it reasonable, in my opinion, to have people committing
> Open Source changes to a OSS project and expect to act as if it's not.

The problem here is that it has been an established tradition; changing
that tradition can harm relationships. Harming relationships with existing
WP developers is not in WP's best interest.

My personal choice would be a compromise:

1) People who prefer to host their plugins on WP's page can do so.
2) People who would prefer to host their own plugins, for whatever reason,
   can do so, but should offer a copy up for the WP plugin page,
   including any updates to said plugin. This copy would not be shown on
   the WP page *unless* the primary site was unavailable for an extended
   period and the developer had not offered a change of location.

I'd say a reasonable time for 'extended period' is two weeks, though, as
with anything, that's debatable.

--
_Deirdre  web: http://deirdre.net    blog: http://deirdre.org/blog/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"