[wp-hackers] topic exchange integration

Steve korgan at de-generationx.net
Tue Jul 13 16:58:26 UTC 2004

Tara Star wrote:

> Dougal Campbell wrote:
>
>> Why add a new field? Just use the postmeta. When posting, you could just
>> add a "te_channel" key for each topic. A plugin could then just hook
>> into the publish_post action, look for any "te_channel" fields for the
>> post, and send the appropriate pings to the TE server.
>>

> Of course, new field is not necessary. It's just an interface
> preference thing. I already have three postmeta keys for all of my
> posts, and I find adding them one by one with the "custom field" part
> of the form very kludgy. I'd much rather have a text input I can tab
> to and into which I just need to type a bunch of channel identifyers.

What about just creating a root category called "Topic Exchange" or
whatever else you like then create sub categories of it named after the
channels you wish to ping? Then you just have a simple plugin that go
through those selected sub categories of each post and makes the ping?

Would be much easier than creating a whole new field or adding new
custom keys and the like.

If you really want a new field to enter in to, use DOM in the same way
Kitten did for her SpamWords 2 plugin. That way you don't have to hack
any WP files.

Just my 2c

Steve
(aka Korgan)