[wp-hackers] Translating 1.5 with Rosetta

Luc Saint-Elie luc at saint-elie.com
Wed Dec 22 11:17:26 UTC 2004

At 11:25 +0100 22/12/04, Albert Holm wrote:
>This seems like a quite userfriendly way to translate it. I tried it
>out and translated a few strings to swedish.
>
>One thing that I have noticed (and already noticed when I worked
>with poEdit but only submitted one patch for some various e-mail
>spellings) is that there are many strings that are similar to each
>other. For example, there are strings "Comments (0)", "No Comments",
>"Comments (1)", "1 Comments", "Comments (%s)" and "%s Comments".
>There is also the powered by wordpress string which is both
>translated with <cite> and then same string without. I guess it is
>possible to get rid of quite alot of the similar strings.
>
>Should I work towards a patch that removes some "duplicate" strings?

I would be cautious.

The way singular and plural  are managed can vary a lot form one
language to another.

For example in French

Comments o => Pas de commentaire // notice  no trailing "s"
Comments (1) => 1 commentaire  //still no "s" at the end
Comments (%) => % commentaires

--
Luc Saint-Elie
http://blog.saint-elie.com