[wp-hackers] RE: slow posting..

Adi Sieker ml at sieker.info
Tue Dec 7 11:32:06 UTC 2004

Donncha O Caoimh wrote:
> Adding enclosures to posts shouldn't slow things down much - I issue a
> HEAD request for the linked media file and close the connection after I
> receive two carriage returns. That way it doesn't matter if keep alives
> are on or not. We could do the same with the
> discover_pingback_server_uri function perhaps? I haven't looked at that
> code yet but it seems like a good bet for speeding things up!

discover_pingback_server_uri reads in the http header and
if it doesn't find a X-pingback header continues to read in
the first 2048 bytes of the file (after the two carrige returns) to see
wether a rel=pingback url can be found. If the file is smaller than 2048
(which admittely doesn't happen often) fgets waits for the timeout. A
simple fix I have tried is switching to HTTP 1.0 in the request, which
also works on my virutal hosted domains.

Regards
     Adi

> Donncha.
>
> Adi Sieker wrote:
>
>> Has this missed peoples attention or isn't interesting or
>> am I totally off my head? :))
>>
>> Regards
>>     Adi
>>
>> Adi Sieker wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,>> for HTTP 1.1 which is causing fgets to block until a timeout.
>>> Using HTTP 1.0 in the request won't cause the webserver to use
>>> keepalive and everything
>>> speeds. To sum it up:
>>> 1. You need an url in the post.

Adi J. Sieker                                   http://www.sieker.info/