[wp-hackers] theme manager like plugin manager

Tara Star tellme at climbtothestars.org
Tue Dec 7 07:59:29 UTC 2004

You probably all know by now how enthusiastic I am about Dave's plugin
manager (http://wp-plugins.net/) and the possibility to install new
plugins in a single click.

The same thing for themes would be great. I mean, I've seen some
beautiful themes out there, but for the moment, changing themes requires
(a) hunting down the theme on the web, (b) downloading it to the server,
(c) activating it. Wouldn't a theme manager functioning a bit like
Dave's plugin manager be a nice thing? View a page with screenshots and
info of all registered themes in a central DB, and one-click install the
theme of your choice. I'm certain a lot of the plugin manager code could
be re-used for this.

The theme manager could be a plugin (like the plugin manager is), or why
not, someday, included in the core? (I've vaguely heard talk about
including the plugin manager but I don't know where things are -- and
honestly, it's not that important.)

What do you think?

Steph
PS: I'm aware there are still lots of bugs to be squashed and that this
is an "inessential feature" -- but I think it can really help make WP
easier for the less-techy masses
--
http://climbtothestars.org/