[wp-hackers] [hendry@cs.helsinki.fi: Asking for directions]

Rubén Marrero ruben at lingo.com.mx
Fri Aug 27 16:58:01 UTC 2004

Kai Hendry wrote:

>I am a bit concerned about this need for other mysql users. Can't
>wordpress manage its own users?
>I see HTTP_HOST doesn't seem to be enough. Selling a DNS dependency for
>a web application does seem to be a tall order.

Well, Web apps, specially since HTTP1.1 (8 years now?) are totally
dependant on DNS (same as mail, and a wee bit of other apps in the net)
http://www.apacheweek.com/features/http11

I think  HTTP_HOST is a sure-fire way of knowing which blog to serve at
a given request. Now. How do you install a .deb package in a debian box
and provide your users with a blog for each, w/o copying the whole damn
thing? that's the hairy part. But somehow the blog admin, _at least_ is
supposed to do that. The minimum steps involved will be:

0.- Make Apache aware of a new WP instance in the user webspace:<---
Only root can do that.
1.- Make some kind of dir structure in the user FS: <----User can do
that, or WP admin can do it for him
2.- Log as WP admin, activate a blog for user : <--- only WP admin can do it

Which is not unlike any other multiuser / multihost web app like...
like... darn.! there must be a lot of them around, but i can't think of
one! :-)

WP as it stands now, can accomodate a single user, single database,
different table prefix, for all it's (soon-to-be-fully-functional)
installations, so maybe the different mysql users could be avoided.

aw, just my 2 cents

cheers