[wp-hackers] Search Permalinks

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Wed Aug 18 23:37:59 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 16:15 -0700, Steve Ivy wrote:
> I second this - mod_rewrite is very powerful, but should not be
> *required*.

It's not.  PATH_INFO is supported as well.  Actually, I prefer that
people use PATH_INFO because it eliminates support questions
about .htaccess and such.  Perhaps options-permalink should
emphasize /index.php/archives/... style permalinks.

>  One question - if we do start eating the whole URI, does
> mod_rewrite not get a shot at it? I've got custom rules that are
> handling uris from my old CMS and redirecting them to the current WP
> posts, and I don't want to lose that functionality.

I don't think we can interfere with mod_rewrite from doing its thing.
It sees the URIs before WordPress does, AFAIK.

Ryan