[wp-hackers] Homeless Pingbacks

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Tue Aug 10 12:44:26 UTC 2004

> During a discussion on #wordpress this past evening, I was
> intrigued to hear of
> a pingback being posted non-specifically to an article in the
> blog. The pingback
> was sent to the URL of the blog and not to a specific URI.

I get these all the time because I'm using my EzStatic plugin to host
static content inside the WordPress index.php style.  Since there is no
post_id associated to the data that appears on the static page, yet the
pingbacks/trackbacks are still processed by the index.php, the pingback
always ends up on my first post (post_id = 1).  This happens quite often
for me because my plugin page is static, and people that use my plugins
have a tendency to pingback my plugin page.

Perhaps there should be some mechanism in my plugin to handle pingbacks
to static pages, but there currently is not.

I had a related idea about topical trackbacks that link based on a
search term instead of linking to individual posts.  These are rather
unlike tropical trackbacks which sit on the beach drinking Corona.

Owen