[wp-hackers] Extended?

jonner.1979671 at bloglines.com jonner.1979671 at bloglines.com
Wed Aug 4 14:30:45 UTC 2004

--- hackers at wordpress.org wrote:

Phanatic,

> >> we are preparing a roadmap
now... a few days, and you'll be informed

> >> about the details.

> Isn't
the decision to fork made only AFTER trying to work within the

> current
effort?

> Regardless, this is not a fair tact to take with the lead developer
of

> a stable and thriving  product.  I am personally dumbfounded by your

> stance.

> dc

It certainly is 'fair'.  The license explicitly allows
it.  It may have been better etiquette for him to bring up his concerns with
the developer community first, but it appears that he has quite different
goals from the official wordpress project, so any modifications he made to
Wordpress may not have made it into the official version anyway.

Note
that i'm just going by the description on the sourceforge project page, i
have no idea what the final goals of the 'extended' wordpress will be.  But
since the goals of WordPress proper are remarkably well-defined, I imagine
phanatic assumed (reasonably, I think) that the direction he wanted to take
it wouldn't fit in with the existing WordPress goals.  In this case forking
is not a unreasonable thing to do I think.

just my 2c.

Jonner