[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #6844: Extract & relocate core markup functions: Theme compat include functionality & search forms file

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jan 27 20:13:15 UTC 2016

#6844: Extract & relocate core markup functions:  Theme compat include
functionality & search forms file
-----------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  hnla                         |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement                  |      Status:  new

Comment (by hnla):

 >1. First, I agree that the different components should share search-form
 code

 Yep and as shall other functions better re-use code as I get around to
 identifying and extracting (part of the exercise here was always the fact
 that in core we replicate html that not only serves no purpose sitting in
 core files but is slight bloat in being repeated.)

 >2. ...theme authors to be able to override this markup. That's the whole
 goal of the ticket, as I understand it.

 In part yes, at least that markup of this quantity should be in
 'views'/templates not in mid tiers, let devs have access to it, filters
 are great but in the search form the filters are only there to get around
 the lack of access really.

 Agreed on existing template stack i.e bp_get_template_part(). I do see a
 use for an include function along the lines that I added on that initial
 patch and will probably save for my own extended theme_compat if/when but
 that's going off at a tangent somewhat.

 I'll check over your patch, which I'm sure will be the closer approach
 we'll use, it will be good to tie down the overall concept then I can push
 on and get some of the grunt work done in extracting other
 functions/markup.

 Don't like `common/` but can't think of anything better and agree `incl`
 not quite correct for what we're doing here.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6844#comment:4>