[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #5328: Use of the WordPress HeartBeat API to check for newest activities and to let user load them

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Feb 20 20:44:14 UTC 2014

#5328: Use of the WordPress HeartBeat API to check for newest activities and to
let user load them
-------------------------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  imath                                |       Owner:  imath
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by boonebgorges):

 > So in 5328.04.diff i've removed all caching stuff.

 Yeah, this seems right to me.

 > I understand your prudence (< i don't know if it's the same meaning in
 english than in french)

 Oui, c'est exact :)

 I think this is just about ready to go. 5328.05.diff contains a few
 changes:

 - I changed the 'offset' param so that passing 'offset=35' would get items
 *greater than or equal to* 35, instead of greater than. This seems more
 like how "offset" should work, and it seems like it's how WP_Query handles
 its own offset parameter. I made the necessary +1 change in the code so
 that the heartbeat would continue to work.
 - Unit test for 'offset'
 - Some documentation and codestyling cleanup
 - I like your new logic for setting the pulse interval, but I rewrote the
 documentation and flipped around some variable names inside of
 `bp_activity_heartbeat_strings()` so that it made a bit more sense. (Some
 of the logic you were using before was kinda opaque - it took me like 20
 minutes to understand the function :) )
 - I changed the wording of the admin setting
 (bp_admin_setting_callback_heartbeat()). For one thing, "15 seconds" was
 not always going to be literally true. For another, the word "refresh" is
 a little misleading - the page doesn't really refresh, it just checks to
 see if there's new items available. I changed it to "Query automatically
 for new items when viewing the activity stream", but if you have ideas for
 how that could be improved, please feel free.
 - Messed with your JS a little bit so that one of the jQuery objects would
 get cached in a variable

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5328#comment:18>