[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #5328: Use of the WordPress HeartBeat API to check for newest activities and to let user load them

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Feb 19 17:14:54 UTC 2014

#5328: Use of the WordPress HeartBeat API to check for newest activities and to
let user load them
-------------------------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  imath                                |       Owner:  imath
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by imath):

 Replying to [comment:15 boonebgorges]:
 > Hey imath - Looking better. I like the new technique of using the
 activity loop inside of an output buffer.

 Thanks boonebgorges :)

 About caching : i agree with your point, but then, i think we don't need
 to use caching. Because the latest id is not a result of a query but of a
 parsing of the first li#id done in buddypress.js. So in 5328.04.diff i've
 removed all caching stuff.
 I've changed new {{{$filter['id']}}} in favor of {{{$filter['offset']}}}
 I've added '_bp_enable_heartbeat_refresh' to bp_get_default_options()

 About HeartBeat pulse :
 I understand your prudence (< i don't know if it's the same meaning in
 english than in french) about not messing in this area.
 On the other hand, if no interval is set, then the refresh will never
 happen, so users will be a bit surprised to see that the option is on by
 default and nothing happens.

 in 5328.04.diff, i suggest to deal with this point :

 1/ Does any plugin is adding an interval ?
 - if so use it
 - if no, use 15s
 2/ Is the bp_activity_pulse filtered ?
 - If so use the filtered value even if plugin added an interval.
 - if no use the one set by the plugin or by BuddyPress

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5328#comment:16>