[bbDev] Custom permalinks patch

Michael D Adams mikea at turbonet.com
Wed Mar 14 01:11:40 GMT 2007

On Mar 8, 2007, at 9:02 PM, Sam Bauers wrote:
> On 07/03/2007, at 6:25 PM, Michael D Adams wrote:
>
>> We can definitely add slug columns to topics and forums.  They can
>> be populated with data that looks like sanitize_with_dashes
>> ( title ).  We'll need to avoid making duplicates, of course :)
>
> OK then, a couple of questions...
>
> So we check if a slug exists already before inserting it into the
> table, or should we make topic/forum titles unique keys?

Why don't we make the slugs (not the title) UNIQUE for now.  It's
easy to change to non-UNIQUE later (and hard to go the other way) if
there are compelling arguments to do so.

> If we allow duplicate names for topic/forum can we simply append
> the ID to the slug for the new duplicates?

It might be stylistically better to append an incrementing number:
cheese, cheese-2, cheese-3, ...

> Do we want to allow/handle UTF-8?

Yes.  Let's try to do the same thing for slugs as we do for tag
urls.  Of course, we need to figure out what's wrong with tag urls
first :) http://trac.bbpress.org/ticket/585

Michael