[bbDev] Custom permalinks patch

Michael D Adams mikea at turbonet.com
Tue Mar 6 19:07:46 GMT 2007

On Feb 20, 2007, at 3:36 AM, Sam Bauers wrote:
>> The localization is very valid, but generally that sort of thing
>> is handled in gettext, rather than as a configuration option.
>
> Wouldn't that make it a little inflexible, and I imagine it
> wouldn't be accessible via an admin page???
>
>> I think requiring mod_rewrite for "pretty" URIs is perfectly fine,
>> and has worked with few problems in the WP camp.
>
> OK, I might just forge ahead and try to work out how to create
> "even prettier" URIs that get rid of the ids. I'm confident that
> the foundation I have worked out so far will extend to this without
> too much work.

I really like that someone's looking into this :)

I think, though, that we don't need a huge amount flexibility or
customizability.  We could offer people just a few choices:

Your permalinks should look like:

http://example.com/topic.php?id=1
http://example.com/topic/1
http://example.com/topic/pretty-permalinks-are-nice

Whichever they pick would apply to views, forums, profiles, etc.  As
long as we offer just a few good choices, not giving the user a lot
of flexibility is ok.  In fact it's good.  Super fancy stuff should
probably only be accessible via a (likely site specific) plugin.  As
an example, WP can do *a lot* with urls, but it's up to plugins to do
it.

Once we've got that all squared away, we can look into how we should/
if we should offer custom  "bases" (I don't know what to call them).
Like http://example.com/dingus/1 instead of http://example.com/topic/
1  Localization, however, should just work; it should not have to be
configured in the admin.

Then we can brace ourselves for the inevitable "I want http://
example.com/forum-name/topic-name." :)

Michael