[Spam] [bbDev] templates dir

Michael D Adams mikea at turbonet.com
Thu Feb 8 22:00:56 GMT 2007

On Feb 8, 2007, at 1:45 PM, Aditya Naik wrote:
> you suggested to drop the themes in the my-templates dir rather
> than the bb-templates dir.. any particular reason?

To keep upgrading as simple as possible.  Any custom stuff
(templates, plugins) should not be placed in directories that bbPress
distributes.  This is a big fault of WordPress.

Ideally, people should be able to delete every directory that comes
with bbPress and keep all their custom stuff.  In part because that's
just plain cleaner and in part because a lot of people upgrade via
FTP which is notoriously flakey about over writing stuff; if you
upgrade via FTP, you should delete all non-custom stuff first and
then upload.

Keeping custom directories and core directories separate makes that
process much cleaner.

Also, bbPress will probably eventually ship with two or three themes
and we don't want to over write anyone's custom theme they've wrongly
put in bb-templates.

Great question :)  I've updated the release post on the blog with
more explicit instructions.
Michael