[bbDev] Admin Link in bbPress not doing anything.

Doug Meade dougyitbos at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 23 14:36:42 GMT 2006

This problem boils down to the Admin link in bbPress
not doing anything.
But the details of my steps so far are below.

I am trying to get bbPress integrated with WordPress
2.0.1
I have a fresh WordPress install to work with.

Here's what I've done to date:

First I installed WordPress 2.0.1 in the root HTML
directory.

Then I created a bb folder under the root HTML
directory to house the bbPress files.
And then moved the bbPress files up.

I edited the bb-config file so as to install bbPress
in the same database as WP

I further edited the your bb-config.php as below

/**************************
 *  Start WP integration
 **************************/

if(file_exists("../wp-settings.php"))
{
  // loads the functions and wp config
  require_once "../wp-config.php";
  require_once "../wp-settings.php";

  // use the WP user table for your bbpress user list
  define('CUSTOM_USER_TABLE', 'wp_users');

  // your $bb->domain must match your wp domain
exactly or the hash won't work and users will not
authenticate.
  $myhash = md5($bb->domain);
  $bb->usercookie = 'wordpressuser_' . $myhash;
  $bb->passcookie = 'wordpresspass_' . $myhash;

  // Use the same cookie as WP
  $bb->cookiepath = '/';
}
/**************************
 *  End WP integration
 **************************/

This was per the instructions found here:
http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/bbdev/2005-December/000452.html

Then I ran the install for bbPress.

I had some problems with user privileges and
registration so I dropped the bbpress tables.
Then I added another tweak to the bb-config.php
I added:
define('CUSTOM_USER_META_TABLE', 'wp_usermeta');

As per the advice found here:
http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/bbdev/2005-August/000227.html

That seemed to help a bit...
But I'm still having an odd problem.

Here's the break down:

I can get the bbPress "Admin" link to show up for any
of the users in wp_users by adding an appropriate
entry in the wp_usermeta table for the bb_cpabilities
key.
But ... Although the Admin link shows up... it does
nothing.
I can not get any user to "see" the admin section of
bbPress.

Can anybody offer a suggestion here?