[bbDev] Re: WP user integration works, but...

Max Roeleveld max at doenietzomoeilijk.nl
Sun Aug 13 14:55:37 GMT 2006

> From: "Dr. Mike Wendell" <theapparatus at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [bbDev] WP user integration works, but...
>
> I don't have access to the site as I'm on a dumb terminal that only
> allows email access but there exists with the WP.org codex a user page
> that has details on wp-bbpress integration.  Best bet would be to
> visit the WPMU site at http://mu.wordpress.org and do a search (via
> the sticky, not the box along the top) for bbpress as I know we've
> quoted the link a number of times.

Ah, I should've pointed out that I did, in fact, try the suggestions
on the page you probably mean:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Ergate/wpmu_bbPress_integration .

Alas, that's where the errors also started.

> From: "Austin Matzko" <if.website at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [bbDev] WP user integration works, but...
>
> I have had a WordPress / bbPress integration going for some time, and
> when I upgraded WP last week I decided to update bbPress to the newest
> version as well, which introduced those very same errors you mention.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one... =]

> I got around them by commenting out this line 61 in bb-settings.php:
> require( BBPATH . 'bb-includes/l10n.php');
> (the internationalization functions apparently are duplicates of WP
> functions)
> and I added a line at 237 in bb-includes/functions.php, changing
<snip>
> I hope that helps.

Indeed it does! I ran into a duplicate definition for is_tag, which
was caused by the Ultimate Tag Warrior plugin. I simply renamed UTW's
is_tag to is_UTW_tag and then it flew.

Thanks a zillion!

> From: "Sean Hayford O'Leary" <sdho at sdho.org>
> Subject: Re: [bbDev] WP user integration works, but...
>
> For mod_rewrite, check this out:
> http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/bbdev/2006-January/000481.html

As with Mike's suggestion: I already saw that. =]

The problem is that somehow, the server translates /forum/4 into /
forum.php/4. And indeed: if I change that in the mod_rewrite rules, I
can access forums allright. But for other URLs, this won't work, or
it gives me 500-type errors. I have some experience with mod_rewrite,
but this one has me slightly puzzled. I'll continue to whack at it
(and I'll also try and see if there's something in the bbPress code
that explains it) and post my findings here.

For completeness' sake: I have tried this on another server as well,
giving me the same results. Again, WP works flawlessly on both servers.

Thank you all!

Best regards,

Max