[bbDev] WordPress and BBPress Shared Users

Derek Winterstien wordpressforum at robotz.com
Sat Nov 19 20:51:56 GMT 2005

The most serious limitation to integration right now is WordPress's lack
of a specific table that bbpress uses.  This is the bb_usermeta. As
stated in past threads, WordPress 1.5 has no usermeta table.  With the
usermeta data absent users lack $capabilities and therefore cannot post
new threads or topics to the forum.  This is true for users who register
to the WordPress site.  The function bb_append_meta( $object, $type ) in
functions.php is important as it is where the SELECT from usermeta takes
place.  I've tried to make the default "member" with no success.  I
consider this a design incompatibility in bbpress that could have been
avoided.

At this time I find myself manually populating this field for users that
register though the WordPress registration so that they are able to post
to the bbpress forum.  I am working on a function to auto populate this
with default values.  If and when I get it done I will share it here.

As far as styles (CSS) you will find yourself copying the WordPress one,
then heavily modifying it so that your bbpress forum shares the same
look and feel.  This was pretty straightforward to do.  Design is never
a significant factor in determining compatibility, what is more
important is database schema and code.

I would rate integration with minimal effort at 80% and if it weren't
for the usermeta issue it would be much higher.  I wish more development
effort was put into compatibility as opposed to flashy AJAX widgets.