[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #60863: The "Bulk Actions" is not functioning correctly due to Plugin Dependencies feature

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Mar 30 09:31:21 UTC 2024

#60863: The "Bulk Actions" is not functioning correctly due to Plugin Dependencies
feature
----------------------------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  Ankit K Gupta                     |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                      |      Status:  new
Changes (by knutsp):

 * severity:  minor => major

Comment:

 This should be skipped server side, for now, since this is how bulk
 actions have always behaved and are expected to work - until something
 smarter is on the table.

 There is already a "surprise" when activating already active plugins, and
 vice versa for deactivating
 There is already a "surprise" when using the "Enable auto update" bulk
 action, since some plugins cannot be auto updated. Even when viewing not
 auto-updated plugins only, also those that can't be auto-updated are shown
 and ''all are se1ectable''.

 What I want is that all rows that can be bulk actioned on is initially
 selectable, but that this may change depending on which row action is
 wanted.

 There are two ways to initialize bulk actions:
 1. Select rows, then select action
 2. Select action, then select rows

 This can be utilized in my suggestion A:
 Selecting action should trigger adjusting the checkbox visibility of each
 row. This means that the selectability for each row must be stored in the
 dom, possibly as a class for pure css changes. Or also the state of the
 checkbox for each row, enabling a warning message in case some selected
 rows get unselected after selecting or changing the action.

 The view links come in pairs, active/inactive, auto-updated/not-auto-
 updated and so on. Top level generalized: is-something/not-is-something.

 This can be extended in my suggestion B:
 Enhance the views in a way to include active+deactivatable, active&not-
 deactivatable, inactive&activatable, inactive&not-activatable, auto-
 updated, not-autoupdated&auto-updatable and so on. To make this clear to
 user it will probably require two-level view links, a second level being
 visible only after selecting a top level view.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/60863#comment:7>