[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #60863: The "Bulk Actions" is not functioning correctly due to Plugin Dependencies feature

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Mar 30 00:36:07 UTC 2024

#60863: The "Bulk Actions" is not functioning correctly due to Plugin Dependencies
feature
----------------------------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  Ankit K Gupta                     |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                      |      Status:  new

Comment (by azaozz):

 As @afragen mentions above (and as far as I remember) the bulk actions
 were discussed several times, and the current behaviour was chosen as most
 appropriate/least confusing for the users.

  remove the actions that aren't possible rather than prevent them from
 being in the bulk updates

  When doing bulk deactivation or deletion, plugins with dependencies could
 be skipped server-side

 Think this was one of the discussed solutions. Seems this may be more
 confusing/unexpected for the users. For example: selecting five plugins
 and doing a bulk update would update three and skip two. It is quite
 likely that the user will be unpleasantly surprised because two plugins
 were not updated.

 Showing a notice to explain why these two plugins were skipped would be
 "after the fact", i.e. the user's expectations won't be fulfilled, and
 there will be an excuse/explanation after that failed (despite that WP
 "knows" that it will fail before the user attempts it).

 For that reason the way this currently works is to "show & tell" the user
 that bulk actions are not possible before they attempt them, not show a
 failure notice after that.

 I agree this behaviour can be refined and/or fine-tuned. Seems "future
 release" is the right choice here.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/60863#comment:6>