[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #60398: WordPress 6.4.3 MacOS/Linux Compressed Zip plugin archives "Incompatible Archive" on upload

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Mar 2 20:26:38 UTC 2024

#60398: WordPress 6.4.3 MacOS/Linux Compressed Zip plugin archives "Incompatible
Archive" on upload
 Reporter:  Endymion00                           |       Owner:
                                                 |  peterwilsoncc
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by kevincoleman):

 I think it’s pretty easy to see how this ticket ends up. Even if the minds
 of the core committers could be reasonably changed by a flood of comments
 here (which appears debatable at current), that may take long enough that
 we’ll be at the next release/milestone anyway and it’ll be a moot point.
 In short, that just means this ticket will be a shining, archived example
 of how even though the core devs can “be right” the bug will run its
 course at the PR expense of the WordPress community. As has been mentioned
 before, this kind of blunder is doomed to repeat itself with any project
 lacking good community relations management, open- or closed-source.

 And let me be clear: ''the core committers bring tremendous value to the
 table here''—it’s just that the value is largely realized in technical
 ability and commitment, not socially as in community relations. They
 should not be berated for making decisions like this that are technically
 sound. The failure here is in not having proper user experience
 representation. It’s an often overlooked role. UX is a hard job, which is
 often misunderstood and sidelined. This is often an area that suffers in
 open source projects where the social structure appears more democratic,
 but frankly UX is undervalued almost everywhere.

 I think it’s probably the right choice to abandon this ticket, because
 unless we want to take steps to fix the UX and community inadequacies all
 it’s doing is making more noise to get in the way. We just have to accept
 that breakages happen sometimes, and if we collectively take steps to help
 (not just complain) we can potentially fix some of the future breakages.

 Also, pause to be grateful to the core team. Even if they are making the
 wrong call here (I’m still unsure), they are making hard calls. That’s
 stressful. Please remember we’re all on the same side here.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/60398#comment:98>