[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #58107: Twenty Twenty-Two :- PullQuote block Letter case is not working in citation text

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Jan 28 23:38:22 UTC 2024

#58107: Twenty Twenty-Two :- PullQuote block Letter case is not working in citation
text
 Reporter:  shailu25                             |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  new

Comment (by ramonopoly):

 Thanks for the ping @poena

 Agree that this should be rather addressed in Gutenberg.

 I had a look around and it's possible the overriding theme.scss rules are
 affecting other things too, e.g., borders:

 - https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/54554
 - https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/56628

 > Perhaps the option should not add the style inline on the wrapper, but
 use a CSS class name. And it should not be limited to only the letter
 casing. The letter casing just happened to be the example here because it
 is in wp-block-styles for this block.

 I'm not sure to be honest.

 That sounds like a worthy experiment.

 Alternatively, we could target the `<p/>` and `<cite/>` elements directly
 via the [https://developer.wordpress.org/block-editor/reference-guides
 /block-api/block-selectors/ block.json selectors API] (?)

 What do folks think?

 The
 [https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/blob/9ad73041b644076927e454b595ecd867953ea12d/packages
 /block-library/src/pullquote/theme.scss#L11-L11 theme.scss rules] look
 like they were added intentionally as "opinionated styles" (quoting the
 PR).

 cc @joen for when he has time to advise.

 Specifically addressing `text-transform`, could we not flip the value from
 `uppercase` to `inherit`?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/58107#comment:4>