[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #58107: Twenty Twenty-Two :- PullQuote block Letter case is not working in citation text

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jan 25 13:14:52 UTC 2024

#58107: Twenty Twenty-Two :- PullQuote block Letter case is not working in citation
text
 Reporter:  shailu25                             |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  new
Changes (by poena):

 * keywords:  has-patch has-screenshots => has-patch has-screenshots 2nd-
     opinion

Comment:

 Hi
 Here is what I found when testing the problem on WordPress 6.4.2 and
 6.5-alpha-57345:

 The theme uses {{{add_theme_support( 'wp-block-styles' );}}}.
 This loads the theme.css file from WordPress core (You need to be in the
 block editor to see this file).

 This file includes the CSS for the pullquote citation:
 {{{
 .wp-block-pullquote cite, .wp-block-pullquote footer, .wp-block-
 pullquote__citation {
         color: currentColor;
         font-size: .8125em;
         font-style: normal;
         text-transform: uppercase;
 }
 }}}

 The option in the block settings under Typography > Appearance > Letter
 case also adds CSS, but inline on in the style attribute on the wrapping
 {{{<figure>}}} element.

 In my opinion this is an editor bug; it can be reproduced in any theme
 that uses wp-block-styles.
 You can reproduce it by adding add_theme_support( 'wp-block-styles' ); to
 Twenty Twenty-Four.
 Some themes like Twenty Twenty-One already override the style for the
 cite, so it is not as visible.

 Perhaps the option should not add the style inline on the wrapper, but use
 a CSS class name. And it should not be limited to only the letter casing.
 The letter casing just happened to be the example here because it is in
 wp-block-styles for this block.
 I would like to hear a few more opinions before bringing this to the
 Gutenberg GitHub repository.

 @ramonopoly This is not pressing for 6.5, but when you find the time.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/58107#comment:3>