[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #60582: Let WordPress multisite network setup be aware of Nginx Unit as a hosting environment

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Feb 20 15:04:37 UTC 2024

#60582: Let WordPress multisite network setup be aware of Nginx Unit as a hosting
environment
---------------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  javorszky                        |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  feature request                  |     Status:  new
Component:  Networks and Sites               |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal                           |   Keywords:  needs-docs
  Focuses:  docs, administration, multisite  |
---------------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Hi there,

 I work at F5 on the NGINX Unit team. I'd like to get WordPress to
 recognise when it's running behind a Unit environment, much like Apache,
 IIS, and Nginx proper, looking at the server header is sufficient for
 this. I already have a proof of concept locally with the required code
 changes.

 With that, I'd also like to help with adding configuration documentation
 to the handbook, and to help getting an official Unit-based docker
 container created as well.

 There are a few prerequisites that we still need to take care of on our
 (NGINX Unit) side, however here are all the references for work we already
 have:

 * PR to the WordPress docker library adding Unit: https://github.com
 /docker-library/wordpress/pull/875
 * work to fix multisite handling within Unit:
 https://github.com/nginx/unit/issues/916

 I'd like to start the conversation about adding a section to the handbook
 for Unit configurations like how NGINX has its own:
 https://developer.wordpress.org/advanced-administration/server/web-
 server/nginx/.

 I'd like help validating that Unit can handle all instances of multisite
 and single site functionality in a way that is expected.

 Let me know how else I can help. You can also find me in the WordPress
 Slack during normal working hours GMT.

 Thanks,
 Gabor