[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #58962: Provide a way to load multiple specific options with a single database request

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Oct 25 10:12:52 UTC 2023

#58962: Provide a way to load multiple specific options with a single database
request
 Reporter:  flixos90                             |       Owner:  flixos90
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by SergeyBiryukov):

 Replying to [comment:44 joemcgill]:
 > These new functions do seem to have the same functional purpose as
 existing `_prime_{thing}_cache` functions, as I mentioned [comment:18 in a
 previous comment]. Assuming we can come to agreement on that point, it
 seems to me like we have 3 options:

 > 1. Leave things as they currently stand and punt the naming conversation
 to a future release.
 > 2. Update these new function names to `_prime_options_cache()` and
 `_prime_options_cache_by_group()`, to be consistent with other cache
 priming functions in the meantime.
 > 3. Update the new function names to what we anticipate potentially
 renaming the other functions.

 I would prefer option 2 here for consistency with the existing functions,
 as per comment:14:

 * `_prime_post_caches()`
 * `_prime_post_parent_id_caches()` (new in 6.4)
 * `_prime_site_caches()`
 * `_prime_term_caches()`
 * `_prime_comment_caches()`
 * `_prime_network_caches()`

 For the naming, I would suggest:
 * `_prime_option_caches()`
 * `_prime_option_caches_by_group()`

 The underscore here, while being a vestige of the older naming convention,
 would give us more flexibility in renaming or deprecating these functions
 following a holistic approach in 6.5.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/58962#comment:46>