[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #58962: Provide a way to load multiple specific options with a single database request

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Oct 25 02:06:14 UTC 2023

#58962: Provide a way to load multiple specific options with a single database
request
 Reporter:  flixos90                             |       Owner:  flixos90
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by flixos90):

 @joemcgill I like the plan you've outlined. I agree part of this being
 more in a rush than usual is because we're so close to the stable release.
 Given that, I think it makes sense to not tie ourselves to that rush and
 instead address this holistically in 6.5, for all of the functions being
 discussed. Any such late release cycle changes put additional stress on
 contributors and potentially confusion on developers alike for those that
 may have already read the dev notes.

 I am all for consistency and I would love for us to revisit the naming of
 all of these functions in a separate ticket. Whether we rename all of them
 to `wp_load_*()` or `wp_prime_*_caches()` or something completely
 different, any such decisions could be made there. Even the functions
 introduced here could be deprecated again if needed due to a renaming.
 Granted, it wouldn't feel great deprecating a function introduced 1-2
 cycles before, but it's certainly not a blocker and has happened before in
 core.

 A separate ticket milestoned for 6.5 will give us the opportunity to
 continue this discussion without the 6.4 pressure, while allowing time for
 further opinions to come in, and it will allow us to holistically address
 it, which is not possible in the scope of this ticket anyway, as it's only
 about the new functions.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/58962#comment:45>