[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #59633: Ensure theme files caching mechanisms are filterable and caches can be manually cleared

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Oct 17 12:54:33 UTC 2023

#59633: Ensure theme files caching mechanisms are filterable and caches can be
manually cleared
--------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  afercia       |       Owner:  (none)

Comment (by flixos90):

 @afercia Saying how my "optimism" is not a good base to build software
 upon is not helpful and honestly dismissive. Please stop using personal
 remarks just because you disagree with my opinion.

 Now to the facts. Let's decouple, as you are talking about a few different
 points:
 * Users editing theme files via the built-in theme file editor is a good
 point, and I agree improving compatibility for that in regards to
 WP_DEVELOPMENT_MODE is a good idea.
 * That editor indeed allows users to make file changes. Even then, they
 are making changes to the theme, but I agree in that case WordPress core
 should take care of it since they cannot necessarily control
 WP_DEVELOPMENT_MODE themselves.
 * For FTP, or any other ways outside of WordPress core to edit the theme,
 that is not the case. You are then expected to remain up to date with
 latest development best practices for WordPress. So it is up to you to
 edit wp-config (which you certainly can in these situations) and set
 WP_DEVELOPMENT_MODE.

 One last thing I want to clarify: This is not strictly a 6.4 issue.
 Certain theme.json file data has been cached since 6.2. It used to rely on
 WP_DEBUG as a temporary workaround, and since 6.3 on WP_DEVELOPMENT_MODE.
 Given this file can be edited in the theme file editor as well, we need to
 think about a holistic solution, not just part of it.

 I think we should open a ticket for the theme file editor integration with
 the WP_DEVELOPMENT_MODE related caches. That one can be immediately
 actioned, while continuing to discuss larger implications of
 WP_DEVELOPMENT_MODE here.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/59633#comment:8>