[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #59283: Block Editor: Edit permalink slug for posts is only possible after clicking "save as draft"

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Oct 9 19:32:39 UTC 2023

#59283: Block Editor: Edit permalink slug for posts is only possible after clicking
"save as draft"
-----------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  youknowriad                  |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                 |      Status:  new
Changes (by hellofromTonya):

 * keywords:  has-patch dev-feedback => has-patch changes-requested
 * milestone:  6.4 => 6.5

Comment:

 Spoke with @azaozz who confirmed it's best to punt.

 [https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-
 develop/pull/5138#discussion_r1350719288 His latest comment on the PR]:
 >Right, looking at this again best imho would be to save as a draft if it
 is an auto-draft at that point, then do that "permalink hack". I.e. the
 change here will be that a new draft post is created when someone edits
 the permalink before doing anything else like adding title, content, etc.

 >Just adding 'auto-draft' to that "hack" (i.e. allowing auto-drafts to
 have proper permalinks) may open some edge cases like permalinks for non-
 existing post IDs as old auto-drafts are deleted without warning (garbage
 collection).

 As this ticket needs more time to settle on a solution, punting it from
 6.4. Future Release or 6.5? While there's not yet consensus on an
 implementation, there's good momentum and enough bits and pieces to show a
 way forward. I think moving it into 6.5 gives it visibility for possible
 resolution.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/59283#comment:10>