[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #55535: Pre-populate Image Alt Text field with IPTC Photo Metadata Standard Alt Text

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Oct 7 21:56:16 UTC 2023

#55535: Pre-populate Image Alt Text field with IPTC Photo Metadata Standard Alt
Text
-------------------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  eatingrules              |       Owner:  joedolson
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by mmzeroexpcom):

 Replying to [comment:45 joedolson]:
 > @carolinescribely Do you know of any image sources who are actively
 using this field? For example, stock imagery providers, photography
 studios, etc. - a place where we could look at a wide variety of images to
 examine.

 > The accessibility team's preferred approach to this is to add a media
 data panel that can expose this and other important metadata without
 automatically assigning it to fields that will be output on the front end,
 so that the user can choose to use this information, but it isn't
 automatic.

 Hello
 @joedolson and @carolinescribely (cc @sergueifomine and @brendanquinn ) !
 I have been following this thread off and on and working with Caroline and
 have finally had a chance to chime in.

 The website: https://imagesnippets.com makes use of the embedded alt-text
 information extensively and has done so since it was introduced as part of
 the iptc standard.

 While I cannot guarantee that every search on the ImageSnippets site will
 return images in which a user has included alt-text, you can perform a
 search on the front page of that site for a variety of topics and may find
 it in any number of images. We have over 80,000 images in ImageSnippets.
 You can also create an account and experiment with
 uploading/downloading/searching for images and their metadata.

 However, what might be easier is if you take a look at this page:
 https://margaretwarren.us --- the images on this page are pulled into a
 word press block editor plug-in gallery that pulls image links from
 ImageSnippets and thus all included, embedded metadata is included in the
 linked file.  In our case, a user can log into ImageSnippets and add or
 modify alt-text at any time and it will be updated in the file and the
 link hosted at ImageSnippets.

 One of the reasons we have created the block editor that works this way,
 is because of the historic lack of good word press support for iptc-
 metadata in the media library even when imagemagick is also installed for
 other metadata plug-ins. It would be really nice if the exif/iptc metadata
 were natively handled better in the wp media library for sure.

 We additionally copy the alt-text field from the image into the html alt-
 tag attribute in the block editor, but to access lots of embedded metadata
 in these files, you can click on each image and and right-click download
 each image. Most of the images on that site are populated with alt-text
 data as well as many other iptc-xmp fields.

 Additionally, I list below about 10 other images from my own account
 linked here that are populated.  We have many other users who use alt-text
 extensively through our interface.

 Below, each html link matches each .jpg (or .jpeg) link. If you click on
 the html link, you can flip the image and read the difference between the
 description and the alt-text field. You can also download each image from
 this link to examine and you can also just use the URL for the image
 itself... i.e. all the same and all images contain embedded metadata. For
 one image, I intentionally used an image that has alt-text, but not a
 'description' if that helps in your examination.

 https://imagesnippets.com/imgtag/images/info@margaretwarren.us/fletcher_flair_glenmoor.html
 https://imagesnippets.com/imgtag/images/info@margaretwarren.us/fletcher_flair_glenmoor.jpg

 https://imagesnippets.com/imgtag/images/info@margaretwarren.us/metadata.html
 https://imagesnippets.com/imgtag/images/info@margaretwarren.us/metadata.jpg

 https://imagesnippets.com/imgtag/images/info@margaretwarren.us/P1070330.html
 https://imagesnippets.com/imgtag/images/info@margaretwarren.us/P1070330.jpg

 https://imagesnippets.com/imgtag/images/info@margaretwarren.us/j_loom.html
 https://imagesnippets.com/imgtag/images/info@margaretwarren.us/j_loom.jpg

 https://imagesnippets.com/imgtag/images/info@margaretwarren.us/P1010140.html
 https://imagesnippets.com/imgtag/images/info@margaretwarren.us/P1010140.JPG

 https://imagesnippets.com/imgtag/images/info@margaretwarren.us/gg_circa78.html
 https://imagesnippets.com/imgtag/images/info@margaretwarren.us/gg_circa78.jpg

 https://imagesnippets.com/imgtag/images/info@margaretwarren.us/fletcher%20072.html
 https://imagesnippets.com/imgtag/images/info@margaretwarren.us/fletcher%20072.jpg

 https://imagesnippets.com/imgtag/images/info@margaretwarren.us/FOOu91MXoAAIguo.html
 https://imagesnippets.com/imgtag/images/info@margaretwarren.us/FOOu91MXoAAIguo.jpeg

 https://imagesnippets.com/imgtag/images/info@margaretwarren.us/20220322_190336.html
 (intentionally without 'description' but has alt-text embedded)
 https://imagesnippets.com/imgtag/images/info@margaretwarren.us/20220322_190336.jpg

 https://imagesnippets.com/imgtag/images/info@margaretwarren.us/20160911_183452.html
 https://imagesnippets.com/imgtag/images/info@margaretwarren.us/20160911_183452.jpg

 You can also use the iptc tool: https://getpmd.iptc.org/getiptcpmd.html
 or the call this tool using a Firefox or Chrome extension from the .jpg or
 .jpeg links and explore the difference between the descriptions and the
 alt-text.

 I can't guarantee that every alt-text description written in images in
 ImageSnippets is to the same standards @carolinescribely describes, but in
 general you can see that the description used to describe the image for
 blind, low-vision or cognitively-disabled users is different from the
 general description and is in many cases less sensitive to context (i.e.
 it is just a description of the visual elements).

  In our case, we also duplicate the 'description field'
 (https://www.iptc.org/std/photometadata/specification/IPTC-
 PhotoMetadata#description) into the  Extended description field as well
 however for additional coverage with screen readers.)

 While I do understand why context is important and considered - and I
 defer to @carolinescribely on her interpretation of this, I do also feel
 there would simply be a great benefit to just getting the main one field
 working presently.

 To help the workflow of users working with alt-text,it would be great if
 just this primary field could be retained in the image and read into the
 media library and if edited in the media library interface, could be
 resaved back into the image.

 There will always be forward/backward/read/write compatibility concerns -
 but right now, anything would be better than nothing I think. I will ask
 our developer if he has .php expertise around the embedded metadata that
 would be helpful here.

 I can also see the value to having a media panel however and having better
 support for all EXIF/IPTC metadata fields in general, but to further
 emphasize the need for the alt-text in particular, this news just came out
 3 days ago:

 https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2023/10/04/url-supreme-court-
 disability-rights-case-hotel-booking/71037464007/

 WASHINGTON − The Supreme Court wrestled Wednesday with whether Americans
 with disabilities may sue hotels for failing to disclose accessibility
 information on their websites even if they don't intend to stay there − a
 dispute that advocates say could have broad implications for the
 enforcement of disability laws.

 please contact me if you have more questions, I'm happy to help.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/55535#comment:49>