[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #55535: Pre-populate Image Alt Text field with IPTC Photo Metadata Standard Alt Text

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Oct 7 17:03:41 UTC 2023

#55535: Pre-populate Image Alt Text field with IPTC Photo Metadata Standard Alt
Text
-------------------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  eatingrules              |       Owner:  joedolson
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by sergueifomine):

 Replying to [comment:45 joedolson]:
 > @carolinescribely Do you know of any image sources who are actively
 using this field? For example, stock imagery providers, photography
 studios, etc. - a place where we could look at a wide variety of images to
 examine.

 > The accessibility team's preferred approach to this is to add a media
 data panel that can expose this and other important metadata without
 automatically assigning it to fields that will be output on the front end,
 so that the user can choose to use this information, but it isn't
 automatic.

 We implemented ALT-TEXT properities in DAM Picvario (picvario.com) and
 actively promote the feature to our users. Here is a link to sample
 WordPress page with the embedded image containing ALT-TEXT:
 https://picvario.com/embedding/

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/55535#comment:48>