[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #59847: Since WordPress 6.4, the functions.php of a theme moved to a different location using register_theme_directory is no longer called

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Nov 9 15:24:09 UTC 2023

#59847: Since WordPress 6.4, the functions.php of a theme moved to a different
location using register_theme_directory is no longer called
----------------------------------------+----------------------------------
 Reporter:  partyfrikadelle             |       Owner:  joemcgill
     Type:  defect (bug)                |      Status:  reviewing
                                        |  performance
----------------------------------------+----------------------------------

Comment (by kdowns):

 Replying to [comment:19 joemcgill]:
 > I doubt that conditional is part of the problem. That early return was
 added 12 years ago in [20015] and the conditional hasn't changed in 6
 years [41174]. It's probably coincidental that commenting out that line
 fixes the issue.

 > I've put together a [https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-
 develop/pull/5642 proof of concept PR] that seems to fix the original
 issue, by making sure that those functions only memoize the paths when
 called after plugins have loaded.

 > @kdowns I'm curious if this approach would address your issue as well?

 I was able to validate this fix works for me as well.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/59847#comment:31>