[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #55535: Pre-populate Image Alt Text field with IPTC Photo Metadata Standard Alt Text

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jun 15 22:28:02 UTC 2023

#55535: Pre-populate Image Alt Text field with IPTC Photo Metadata Standard Alt
Text
-------------------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  eatingrules              |       Owner:  joedolson
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by carolinescribely):

 I didn't realize this was part of a larger conversation and that it has a
 higher LOE. Thanks for sharing that. Let me know if I can help weigh in
 with contributors and decide on a go-forward alt text strategy. I work
 with clients and partners on this sort of thing all the time and I would
 be happy to contribute to moving this conversation forward.

 Here are initial thoughts in case they are helpful...

 Ideally there's a way to store multiple versions of alt text within a
 media library and have users control which one works best and whether or
 not to adapt / write a new description. It would be good to be able to
 categorize an alt text description as "primary / default" in the media
 library, as well as include other categories that might be helpful to
 users like "IPTC / embedded" or "custom."

 From there, users could set controls for images on the actual webpage to
 pull let's say the "primary" alt text from the media library or write a
 new description that's just for that page. This addresses the context
 concern brought up on this thread. WebFlow has a similar process of
 pulling descriptions from the asset library to make if you want a
 reference for this but I don't believe they allow you to store and select
 from multiple versions of alt text in the media library which is really
 what's needed for accessibility workflows.

 Putting my ideas down here but happy to talk through any of them with you
 / others if it's helpful.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/55535#comment:41>